Waddesdon Manor Gardens, near Aylesbury
The magnificent gardens at Waddesdon Manor were created by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in the 1880s from a bare hilltop site.
Waddesdon, A Rothschild House & Gardens
The impressive gardens at Waddesdon were created by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in the 1870s from a bare hilltop site.
- This French Renaissance-style château and its gardens boasts sweeping landscapes, manicured gardens and an iconic parterre, famed for its colourful seasonal bedding. The carpet bedding design, changed annually in early June, is a particular highlight and links to the collection in the house.
- Must-sees on a visit include the ornate Rococo-style aviary housing rare birds, Pulham rock and 3D bird bedding sculptures that are examples of the Rothschild's pioneering gardening.
- A valley of daffodils delight in spring and the fragrant rose garden is in full bloom in June. Mature trees are ablaze in the autumn and in the cooler months, visitors can enjoy swathes of snowdrops and a vibrant winter garden.
- See one of the most important collections of 17th and 18th-century garden statuary in the country as well as contemporary pieces.
- Families can explore the gardens with seasonal trails and a playground that winds through woodland.
- Learn more about the history of the gardens with free guided walks, or use online trails to discover more about the trees and sculpture that punctuate the grounds.
- The House dates from the 1870s with the design by French architect Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur. The rooms are elegant, finely furnished with art treasures, and were used to entertain the fashionable world.
There are cafés, restaurants, gift shops, wine cellars and the Coach House Gallery, with annual exhibitions.
Dogs are welcome on leads everywhere with the exception of the parterre, aviary and woodland playground.
Gardens at Waddesdon: Opening Times - see latest information by visiting website.
See website for full details.
- Telephone: 01296 820414
- Street: Waddesdon Manor
- Postcode: HP18 0HJ
- City: Aylesbury
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to find places to stay near Waddesdon Manor, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Look now for hotels near Waddesdon Manor