Forde Abbey and Gardens
The fantastic abbey dates from the 12th century and is a must see.
The Kennard Family welcomes you to their unique house and 30 acres of world famous Gardens at Forde Abbey tucked away in the Dorset countryside.
HISTORY - Founded by Cistercian monks over 800 years ago it became one of the richest and most learned monasteries in the country. The Garden was developed in the 1800s and has continued to evolve over the years.
What is there to see?
- It is one of our favourite gardens and there is something to see in any season.
- In February there are wonderful displays of crocuses and snowdrops in almost every corner of the grounds.
- These are followed by great displays of daffodils and tulips both in the Walled Garden and the grounds from March to May.
- You will also see camellias, rhododendrons followed by Spring Flowering plants in the bog garden from May to June.
- Summer sees wonderful herbaceous borders by the Canal, and nearby on the slopes wild flowers take their place. In late summer there is a hit of hot colours .
- There is also a massive gravity fountain fed by the 2 lakes.
- Autumn brings a finale of amazing colour around the grounds
Forde Abbey and Garden - Opening Times - click here
Snowdrop Weekends and Crocus Week. See website.
Editor's Note - we consider Forde Abbey to be one of the best gardens in England.
Visit other beautiful gardens in Somerset before you go!
- Telephone: 01460 221290
- Street: Forde Abbey
- Postcode: TA20 4LU
- City: Chard
- County: Somerset
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Forde Abbey, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Each hotel has genuine guest reviews enabling you to book from anywhere in the world in total confidence. Look now for places to stay near Forde Abbey and Gardens