Forde Abbey and Gardens
One of Britain's finest gardens surrounding the the historic 12th century Abbey. A garden for all seasons.
The Kennard Family welcomes you to their unique house and 30 acres of world-famous Gardens at Forde Abbey tucked away in the Dorset countryside.
HISTORY - Founded by Cistercian monks almost 900 years ago it became one of the richest and most learned monasteries in the country. The Garden was developed in the 1800s and has continued to evolve over the years.
What is there to see?
• It is one of our favourite gardens and there is something to see in any season.
• In February there are wonderful displays of snowdrops and crocuses in almost every corner of the grounds.
• These are followed by great displays of daffodils and 50,000 tulips both in the Walled Garden and the grounds from March to May.
• You will also see camellias, rhododendrons followed by Spring flowering plants in the bog garden from May to June along with wild orchids in the wildflower meadows.
• Summer sees wonderful herbaceous borders by the long pond, and nearby on the slope's wildflowers take their place. In late summer there is a hit of hot colours.
• A canal pond with lots of wildlife throughout the year.
• It is home to the highest-powered fountain in England.
• Autumn brings a finale of amazing colour around the grounds
Forde Abbey and Garden - Opening Times - click here
Snowdrop Weekends and Crocus Week. See website.
Editor's Note - we consider Forde Abbey to be one of the best gardens in England.
Visit other beautiful gardens in Somerset before you go!
- Telephone: 01460 221290
- Street: Forde Abbey
- Postcode: TA20 4LU
- City: Chard
- County: Somerset
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Forde Abbey, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Each hotel has genuine guest reviews enabling you to book from anywhere in the world in total confidence. Look now for places to stay near Forde Abbey and Gardens