Miserden Garden, near Cirencester
A peaceful 17th century garden in Miserdenwithin a picturesque estate hidden in the Cotswolds hills
The Garden at Miserden near Cirencester, winner of the Historic Houses Garden of the Year Award 2018, is a lovely, timeless walled garden with spectacular views over a deer park and rolling Cotswold hills beyond.
- The garden was designed in the 17th century and still retains a wonderful sense of peace and tranquillity. There are extensive yew hedges, including a notable topiary yew walk designed by the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens who also designed a wing of Miserden Park. The Park was built in 1620 and although the house is not open to the public, it provides a wonderful backdrop to the garden especially when covered in Wisteria in the Spring.
- The Garden is well known for its magnificent mixed borders, amongst the longest in private ownership. They contain a wonderful wide range of roses, clematis, dahlias, shrubs and herbaceous plants that provide colour right through from spring to autumn.
- Other magical features of this garden which has spanned generations include a unique Sycamore tree that has grown through a Cotswold stone wall, grass steps, an ancient mulberry tree planted in 1620, a beautifully tranquil parterre and a rill with fountain and stone summerhouse.
- There is a nursery selling a wonderful variety of plants and a café based in a converted Edwardian glasshouse that also hosts Pop Up Restaurants in the evenings.
- Miserden is a family-run, rural estate overlooking the Golden Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty in the Cotswolds. As well as the garden, the estate encompasses a quaint Cotswold stone village, 850 acres of woodland, a lake, farmland and rolling hills, all providing a sanctuary for wildlife and a tranquil escape for visitors.'
The Garden at Miserden Opening Times 2021 - see latest information by visiting website.
Visit other beautiful gardens in the Cotswolds
- Telephone: 01285 821303
- Street: Miserden
- Postcode: GL6 7JA
- City: Stroud
- County: Gloucestershire
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to find places to stay near Miserden, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Each hotel has genuine guest reviews enabling you to book from anywhere in the world in total confidence.. Look now - click here.