Helmsley Walled Garden
Built in 1759, Helmsley Walled Garden is a beautiful five acre garden sitting beneath the imposing ruins of Helmsley Castle.
Helmsley Walled Garden
• If you love beautiful gardens and enjoy a stroll through gorgeous herbaceous borders or differently themed feature gardens then this is the garden for you.
• For anyone who loves plants, this is a beautifully planted and fully accessible garden. Our 100m double herbaceous borders hit their peak in August but there is always something to see from apple blossom in April, tulips, irises and the Laburnum Arch in May, through to apple harvest starting in August and on to the autumn glow of the Hot Border in October and our Apple Weekend celebrating the nation's favourite fruit.
• Dating back to 1759, Helmsley Walled Garden lies in the North York Moors National Park next to Duncombe Park and Helmsley Castle. The garden was a major employer during most of its history, but following the First World War, it was leased as a commercial enterprise until falling into dereliction in the 1980s.
• Restoration began in 1994: Alison Ticehurst, a practice nurse in nearby Ampleforth, aimed to create a beautiful garden for visitors to enjoy alongside providing a therapeutic space for disadvantaged people. Today volunteers who need support are partnered with a trained volunteer who works with them and helps them to gain confidence and develop their skills.
• Smaller, intimate gardens have plenty of places to sit and enjoy views of Helmsley Castle. Discover delicious varieties of vegetables growing in our Kitchen Garden. Or see herbs used by medieval monks for medicine in the Physic Garden. Explore our collection of over 100 different apple varieties, or walk in the Clematis Garden, the Iris Border or the Cutting Garden.
• The garden continues to develop and mature; new additions include an Iris border, a Peony Garden and a complete overhaul of the Garden of Nature, showcasing British native plants. The Clematis Garden is flourishing and The Physic Garden is full of the medicinal herbs used by medieval monks to provide remedies for the poor and needy.
• We welcome groups of fifteen or more. Full details on our website.
• There is exclusive access and tours of the garden on a Tuesday throughout the season. Your tour will be the only one in the garden and you will have the chance to meet our garden volunteers, have a tour and then enjoy coffee or tea and cake in The Vine House Café.
Helmsley Walled Garden Opening Times - see latest information by visiting website.
Plant centre, Gift Shop, Vinehouse Café. There is full wheelchair access to the Garden as well as the Café. Toilets and disabled toilets available. Dogs are welcome on leads.
We welcome groups of fifteen or more. Full details on our website. There is exclusive access and tours of the garden on a Tuesday throughout the season. Your tour will be the only one in the garden and you will have the chance to meet our garden volunteers, have a tour and then enjoy coffee or tea and cake in The Vine House Café.
- Telephone: 01439 772314.
- Street: Cleveland Way
- Postcode: YO62 5AH
- City: Helmsley
- County: Yorkshire
- Country: United Kingdom
HOTELS AND PLACES TO STAY NEAR TO GARDEN
If you want to take a break near Helmsley Walled Garden, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels. Look now - click here.